Friday, April 29, 2011

Easter 2a - Conclusion

The second Sunday of Easter is where the faithful are found. After a week in the world we come back to participate in the familiar pattern of song sung, word read and explained and meal shared. Some are saying the weekly gathering in houses of worship already in serious decline will all but disappear in the future but I’m not so sure. I think seeking after the holy or the divine or the mystery beyond our knowing is hardwired into our DNA and even a secular desire to know and be known gives people of faith ample opportunity to live the Gospel we have for too long locked behind closed doors. Will whatever is coming look like what we know now? Probably not but that does not mean it will be any less faithful or meaningful or sacred. Like Peter preaching the new story to those who knew an older version or the psalmist seeking the path of life or loving that which you haven’t seen I trust Jesus will show up and offer hands and side as an invitation to touch and see and believe.

2 comments:

  1. The Church in continual transition may be a good thing. You are right in pointing out that "whatever is coming" need not be any less meaningful or sacred.
    I accept that I will never understand, though, why maintaining a familiar pattern of song sung, word read, etc., takes precedence over engaging a world yearning to touch and see and believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. The pattern seems to be pretty human and even in the the You Tube, Twitter, FB generation there are patterns people of faith can recognize and use. You would have liked the NTNL Mission Assembly I chaired this past weekend, My favorite part was the worship on Saturday led by Santa Maria. I didn't understand a single word but I recognized the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete