Monday, January 5, 2015

The Baptism of Our Lord Year B - Genesis 1:1-5

Genesis 1:1-5
The debate about creation tends to focus on how long it took to get the formless void to take the shape we recognize. Truth to be told I don’t think the creation account is about how long it took even if I am perfectly willing to accept that if God wanted the challenge of creation in six twenty-four hour days God was up to it. I find the more difficult question to be why. Some will say that it was out of love that God said, “Let there be light” but I am sure the universe would have been just as happy as a formless void without the darkness humanity has visited upon it. I know I wouldn’t care if I’d never been. How would I even know the difference? So I don’t think the first act of creation was about us. It was about God’s need to bring order to chaos so that God’s creative nature could be expressed in the crowning achievement of the sixth day. Which is to say that though the scriptures record Adam’s reaction to Eve as “flesh of my flesh” I image God’s reaction after breathing life into the dust that became flesh to be so similar as to be the same. So I stand corrected. It was all about love.

No comments:

Post a Comment