Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Lent 1 B - 1 Peter 3:18-22

1 Peter 3:18-22
I am freezing my ashes off in Chicago where I am interviewing for Calvary’s 2015/16 intern. I’ll tell you this. We would not be doing ashes outside at the train station or on the street corner in Chicago. First of all there aren’t any exposed foreheads and secondly Chicagoans have elevated avoiding eye contact to an art form. Probably because they’re all rushing to get indoors. To be fair I had some helpful (and even friendly) interactions today including a very nice waiter who noticed the way I frowned at my bowl of chili (it has BEANS!) and asked if I’d like some jalapenos. I’m finally warm or at least my mouth is. The reminder of our mortality (Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return) can only be fully heard and accepted when heard through the promise of resurrection for all who are imprisoned by the fear of death. Aubree Blomgren, yoga instructor extraordinaire, says it this way: the only reason we dare to enter the corpse pose (Shavasana) is because we are confident we will get up again. So today we acknowledge our death but are confident that in Christ our end is but the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment